In this article, we will be discussing the 5 Best Online Learning Platforms.
We all know that with the rise of the digital age, people are more connected than they ever have been. Personal Computers got replaced with handy Laptops and even the Laptops started facing competition when Tablets & Smart Phones entered the market. Nowadays most of the World Population owns some form of a smartphone. They take selfies and post them on Instagram, message each other on Facebook, participate in events online, tweets on Twitter, and comment on the latest blogs. even news updates are at the tips of their fingers.
In the same vein, Online Learning Platforms used to be considered somewhat substandard and were not available to every individual but with the rise of the Digital Age Education itself transformed. The quality of Online Courses has come a long way since then. The recent global Coronavirus pandemic is changing business, work, and life as we know it. It could be one of the most significant events of the decade as the ongoing outbreak has provisionally put an end to our busy, social, and professional lives
As much as we want to get back to the office and carry on with our normal project activities, it seems that many of us will be stuck at home for some downtime. Nevertheless, this is not a reason to give up on your career nor your entrepreneurial dream.
In other words, take this opportunity to pick up new skills, or simply expand your knowledge from the comfort of your home.
This is where Online Learning Platforms come to the fore. Considering the present situation of lockdown in most countries even the traditional universities are adding online courses to their offerings & tons of online platforms offer different takes on the new style of learning. However it doesn’t mean that traditional means of education are dying, but academic institutions and businesses have identified that we can achieve a lot more by utilizing our tech.
Whether for a career switch or simply to boost your job prospects or grow your current business, learning new skills online to achieve your professional goals is without a doubt a constructive way to cope with the current self-isolation. Above all, the trick is finding the one that suits you and your educational needs.
Table of Contents
edX is a non-profit organization that provides Massive Open Online Courses – MOOC.
- Massive because enrolments are unlimited.
- Open because anyone can enroll — that is, there is no admission process.
- Online because they are delivered via the internet.
- Course because their goal is to teach a specific subject.
Click on the above image to visit edX
edX is the trusted platform for education and learning. Founded by Harvard and MIT, edX is home to more than 20 million learners. This platform was launched by MIT and Harvard University in May 2012.
edX offers high-quality courses from the majority of top-ranked universities in the world and industry-leading companies to learners everywhere. It is the only leading MOOC provider that is both non-profit and open source. Even though most of the courses are free, sometimes you may be charged for add-ons and would have to pay an additional $ for an accredited certificate.
The edX Mission Statement:
- Increase access to high-quality education for everyone, everywhere
- Enhance teaching and learning on campus and online
- Advance teaching and learning through research
In addition, edX courses provide education in various fields and even you can have a master’s degree in a few streams. Includes categories such as technology, economics, agriculture, medical, drawing, aerodynamics, mechanical, data analysis, etc. It also has online college-level courses in a wide scope of orders to the worldwide student body, including a few courses at no charge. It also researches how individuals utilize their foundation
OUR EXPERT REVIEW
- Good value for money with certification after the successful completion of the course.
- Many courses are available for free without a certificate.
- Different levels of learning from short courses to full degrees
- Quality Contents that are Easy to Understand.
- edX also provides an open platform to share your questions, doubts, suggestions and your assignments, this ensures the maximum engagement of Students.
- edX contains only the necessary features and avoids any insignificant information or annoying popups.
- First-time users of the edX platform can get confused with the many different names for the course series, such as Micro Masters, Professional Certificate, X Series, Online Master’s Degree, and Global Freshman Academy (click here to learn more).
- Many edX Courses are archived meaning it is no longer actively supervised by them.
- The Course Availability can be confusing for the learners as they are categorized into – Current, Starting soon, and Upcoming.
- In some cases, users have criticized that receiving certificates can take a long time.
- Some of the courses are location specific.
- The master’s degrees are a bit pricey.
In short, with this Online Learning Platform having such reputable backers (Harvard and MIT) and with its connections to top universities across the world, there is no doubt that it is a fully Legitimate Learning Platform. With 4.5 stars on Trust Pilot, with 75% being 5-star reviews, it’s pretty obvious to see that the students rate it highly.
The majority of the reviews state that they are so happy with the quality of the content in their courses and the diversity of the subjects available to them. If you want a high quality accredited qualification from a reputable institution, edX is worth it and look no further than edX. They have something for everyone, they are reasonably priced (for most of the courses) and you can try a free course before deciding to commit to an expensive one. You can learn at your own time, at your own pace and still receive a qualification that is worthy of your effort.
Udemy is a global marketplace for learning and teaching online where over 50 million students are mastering new skills and achieving their goals by learning from an extensive library of over 150,000 courses taught by novice and expert instructors. The Number of Udemy Instructors comes around 40,000.
Their curated collection of top-rated business and technical courses gives companies, governments, and nonprofits the power to develop in-house expertise and satisfy employees’ hunger for learning and development. Udemy is completely legit. It’s had accolades from the likes of Forbes and Mashable, and millions of people use the platform to learn new skills. It’s also a platform that household-name companies use to train staff.
Udemy offers courses in the following categories:
Development, Business, Finance & Accounting, IT & Software, Office Productivity, Personal Development, Design, Marketing, Lifestyle, Photography, Health & Fitness, Music, Teaching and Academics, and much more.
Click on the above image to visit Udemy
OUR EXPERT REVIEW
- Udemy is a very low-cost place to learn. There’s rarely any need to spend more than 1000₹ on a course.
- Udemy’s video player has all the usual features, such as closed captioning, and there’s also an inbuilt facility to make notes as you pass through a course.
- There are courses on similar topics from different creators so you can pick the best one.
- Udemy provides lifetime access to all its courses.
- You can also learn through their versatile mobile application.
- Udemy Has a Ton of Coding Classes to Choose From.
- Anyone can create and sell a course on Udemy – and that includes you!
- Udemy is not an accredited institution, nor is it affiliated with such, so it implies any Certifications you acquire may not be relevant in “the real world”.
- Anybody can upload a course, so you truly don’t know which one is the best for you among all of them.
- The Platform Looks Jam-packed, it’s Not Well Organized.
- The course cannot be saved to be utilized for Offline Training.
- Since there is No proper screening process for Authors the Content Quality Of some courses is not up to the mark.
Udemy courses are usually pretty great! But any Tom-Dick and Harry can indeed create courses on Udemy, therefore quality is not assured from all instructors. We recommend you to take the time to read reviews before investing your time and money into a course. Udemy will not remove the low-quality courses. However they will make sure that quality is assured through Udemy’s review system which makes sure that those low-quality courses which are awarded low ratings disappear from search results, over a period of weeks, and consequently go dead. Moreover, your money is protected by 30 days Refund Policy.
If you ask us to describe Udemy, in general, most of the courses on Udemy are top quality! But not all courses are the same, before going for a course make sure you read the reviews & the course description to figure out whether the course is the right one for you. Udemy also provides this amazing feature to preview courses so that students can get an idea of the teaching methodology of the instructor and whether or not the course is a perfect fit for them.
Originally set up in North America, Coursera owes its beginnings to two founders, Andrew Ng and Daphne Koller of Stanford University. The company has grown rapidly over recent years and now provides online learners with universal access to the world’s best standards of education through MOOC.
It is currently the main Online Learning Platform for advanced education, where 58 million students from around the globe come to learn new skills. Besides, Coursera Partners with Top Universities and Organizations Worldwide to provide Quality Courses to all. Many titles are available free of charge, with subjects ranging from computer science to the history of art. Business, mathematics, and logic, physical science, and engineering are complemented by social sciences, language learning, and even teaching, such as with TESOL Certificates in staged parts.
Coursera’s courses last 4 -10 weeks, with 1- 2 hours of video lectures a week. Hundreds of free courses give you access to on-demand video lectures, homework exercises, and community discussion forums. Accordingly, not all the courses are free of charge. Some courses are charged with a fee.
The fee varies from courses to courses, based on the different Levels and Certificates. You can pay for the entire Specialization upfront, or pay individually for each course as you progress. We also noticed that paid courses provide additional quizzes and projects as well as a shareable Course Certificate upon completion. Additionally, there is the possibility of financial assistance for students who cannot afford to pay the fee. Financial aid is available for learners who qualify.
Above all, more than 200 of the world’s top Universities and industry teachers Partners with Coursera to offer courses, Specializations, Certificates, and degree programs.
2,400 companies trust the company’s enterprise platform Coursera for Business to transform their talent. Coursera for Government equips government employees and citizens with in-demand skills to build a competitive workforce.
Click on the above image to visit Coursera
Coursera for Campus empowers any university to offer high-quality, job-relevant online education to students, alumni, faculty, and staff. Coursera is backed by leading investors that include Kleiner Perkins, New Enterprise Associates, Learn Capital, and SEEK Group.
OUR EXPERT REVIEW
- Coursera offers a User-friendly Platform with both Web and Mobile learning App
- The courses are designed by Top Universities and You can learn the Courses at your own pace.
- Anybody enlisting for a paid course or Specialization will gain access to a 7-day free trial period.
- Coursera Provides lots of information about The Nature and Characteristics of a particular course.
- Coursera has an easy navigation system with Videos, tests, discussion forums, and further reading materials.
- Most of the courses are at the beginner level.
- There are only limited Languages Compared to Other Top Online Learning Platforms.
- Course fees do not immediately appear on the Coursera course page. To see the charge, you need to tap on “Select” and register for the platform. This will show the individual fees for the course (for paid courses).
Overall Coursera offers a good variety of subjects on their platform which are user friendly with both web and mobile learning. We found the way of explanation, assignments, and final project on Coursera is aimed towards enabling a student to learn a skill and not just knowledge. They also have sliding soft deadlines, that helps to do a class at your own pace and schedule.
Moreover, course layout, structuring, and delivery methods allow learners easy access thereby facilitating a user to schedule, plan, prioritize, and take the course as per convenience. Therefore, a user always has the chance to enroll for multiple courses at a time which is very good for time optimization. However, Coursera’s weak side is that it is much more focused on breadth than depth.
LinkedIn has been a famous path for individuals to associate expertly since 2002. In 2017 it chose to include learning under its umbrella and purchased Lynda.com to make LinkedIn Learning. The site (LinkedIn Learning) itself is a subsidiary to LinkedIn. The “learning” version of the site is designed to help people learn useful and even essential skills that would help them do better in building their career paths in the current job market.
Moreover, it assists Organizations with expanding Learner engagement and builds up the abilities and skills they need today and tomorrow. With more than 15,000+ courses educated by true specialists from Lynda.com and over 50 new courses included each week, the library is always up-to-date regarding business, technical, and creative content.
To have access to LinkedIn Learning you have to have a LinkedIn account that is similar to having a Facebook account.
You have the option to purchase a single course that you are interested in learning but considering the add-on benefits of having a LinkedIn Premium Account, we would recommend subscribing to LinkedIn Premium. By Subscribing for LinkedIn Premium you will have access to an entire collection of courses (15,000+) with the ability to download certificates on completion of those courses.
Click on the above image to visit Linkedin Learning
Let’s start with the Basic Premium Career features:
- Five InMail messages per month.
- See how many searches you appeared in and how many people have viewed your profile.
- Applicant Insight.
- Additional information on posted jobs.
- Additional salary information.
- Access to on-demand learning videos.
- Resume creation with Resume Builder.
The first two features are probably the big draw of Premium Career. Being able to message other users without connecting with them first (or being in the same group) is a huge benefit of LinkedIn Premium.
Click on the link to know more about LinkedIn Premium Subscription.
LinkedIn Learning offers both monthly and annual billing. Starting at ₹1,400* / month after a free trial which you can cancel anytime, for any reason.
Depending on what option you choose, your subscription will be renewed at the end of each month or at the end of each year. If you choose to pay annually, you’ll save up to 36% compared to paying monthly.
OUR EXPERT REVIEW
- Access 15,000+ expert-led courses.
- There are 60 new courses released weekly Including Vast Varieties of Quality Courses
- Cancel anytime, and the first month is free.
- It comes included with job seeker premium & earns a certificate when you complete a course
- The User Can Watch Video or Learn the Course Anytime on Computer or Phone.
- The User Interface is great & the Platform is quite Easy to use.
- Insights-based recommendations based on each learner profile and 675+ million member profiles.
- Courses are not accredited by an official institution.
- Some courses are out of date and need updating.
- Some courses are too short and do not go in-depth, the User cannot completely depend on this platform to learn a skill deeply
- LinkedIn Learning has more than one recommended course on a single topic which makes it difficult for the user to pick one.
To sum up, all of the LinkedIn Learning reviews that we’ve covered, let’s try to answer the question “is LinkedIn Learning worth it?”. Yes, we believe so, especially if you are actively looking to switch careers, gain a promotion, Become better at your job, Improve your job prospects, or simply for the pleasure of learning.
LinkedIn Learning is very similar to Online Learning Platforms like Udemy, Coursera, and other well-known online course providers. It comes included with job seeker premium and If you combine it with a job seeker account, we would recommend using it and learning with. All in all, the website is easy to use and navigate around.
However, the majority of users agree that there are certain areas in which LinkedIn Learning could do a better job. Students claim that beginner-oriented courses dominate the platform, and it’s very difficult to find something that’s a bit more advanced. Whether it is the pricing or the variety of course difficulties – there’s always room for improvement.
To get a comprehensive Review of LinkedIn Learning click here.
Udacity is one of the world’s most popular MOOC-based online learning providers. At Udacity, individuals can propel their careers by learning the latest skills in Cloud Computing, Artificial Intelligence, Deep Learning, Machine Learning, Web Development, Data Science, Programming, and a wide variety of industry-specific Nano degree programs, which are recognized by hiring managers throughout the world.
Moreover Udacity offers value-added services like mentorship, expert instructors, portfolio and resume reviews, professional training, time management tools, etc.
In short Udacity’s mission is to bring the highest quality learning to as many students as possible, powering careers through technical education.
As of today, Udacity offers courses in some of the most innovative fields for the aspiring youth and help them excel in different spheres of their career.
Click on the above image to visit Udacity.
OUR EXPERT REVIEW
- The Content Quality of Udacity is great.
- Regular updates are made available.
- Instructors and Mentors are available for live tutoring.
- Udacity has Active student discussion forums.
- The Udacity course catalog is explained in detail with choices that can be chosen according to the category.
- Compared to Other Platforms, the Course Fees are on the Higher side (Expensive)
- Many non-technical courses are limited in number.
- There is No App-based Platform. Udacity used to have an iOS and Android application.
- They Have Less Practical Exercises Related to a particular course.
- Udacity’s Support System is slow & sometimes it takes a long time to get things resolved.
Now, when it comes to is Udacity “worth it” or not, you will find that the general opinion is that the site does provide a nice and fun learning experience. Keep in mind that this is mainly concerning the free courses – Nanodegrees are a whole different story.
Compared to other Online Learning Platforms Udacity’s courses are of high quality, and they update regularly. Udacity does seem to be a good choice for learners who are interested in IT-related topics even though it does have some notable issues. These learning programs are designed to both last an extended period of time and jampack a ton of information, so a positive learning experience is most likely a guarantee. However, with all of the negative feedback on customer support and community interactions, they wouldn’t be too pleasant to study.
To know more about Udacity Nanodegrees click here.
In Conclusion, the infusion of web-based learning in education is bringing out spectacular results in India and worldwide. Many universities are coming up with their website on which they are providing free content (MOOCs). Some websites are confined to virtual classrooms and help with the logistics of E-learning. Yet a number of them are aiming to develop content according to requirement.
E-Learning and Online Education is now too vast a term to answer simply. The Best Websites for Online Courses that we have mentioned above are some of the most Reputed and Famous Online Learning Platforms but there are many other sites that offer similar or entirely different facilities. Therefore, it depends on the kind of education you want to get like formal education, entrance exams, professional courses, etc.
There are several good websites available on the web, so picking up the right source/online-learning platform is a great deal of work. Therefore before enrolling for an Online Course, we highly recommend you check the reviews of the Course from multiple sources as well as consult with your educators/teachers. You can also refer to our site www.careeronlinecourses.com to get guidance or information on courses. We cover almost on all subjects, wherever they exist on the web. Our team will be more than happy to help.
The sky is the limit when it comes to E-learning. Go out there and explore.
At Career Online Courses we’re constantly working on new features. If you have an idea for how to make our blogs more effective or if we have missed out on any additional info, please let us know in our comments section below. Your feedback is valuable to us.