MISSION: To provide free, world-class education to anyone, anywhere.
Khan Academy’s mission is to change education for the better by giving free source of learning to anyone around the world.
Their Goal: To revolutionize the teaching and learning techniques.
Khan Academy was created in 2008 by Salman Amin Khan, carrying an objective to create a set of online tools that shall help educate students across the globe. The organization is known for producing short lessons in the form of videos. The website also includes supplementary practice exercises and materials for educators. All resources are available for free to the users of their website and app.
The website and its content are mainly in English, but is also available in other languages, to name a few; Arabic, Armenian, Azerbaijani, Bengali, Bulgarian, Chinese, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, Georgian, German, Gujarati, Hebrew, Hindi, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazilian and European), Serbian, Spanish, Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Turkish, Urdu and Uzbek.
Khan Academy offers practice exercises, instructional videos and a personalized learning dashboard that empower learners to study at their own pace both inside and outside the classrooms. They tackle math, science, computing, history, art history, economics and more, including K-14 and test preparation (SAT, Praxis, LSAT) content. They focus on mastering the skills to help learners establish strong foundation in such a manner that there is no limit to what they get to learn next!
Table of Contents
About The Founder
Salman Amin Khan – The man behind ‘Khan Academy’
Salman Amin Khan is an American educator. Khan is the sole founder of the world’s largest virtual academy called “Khan Academy”, an online academy with 4 million subscribers on YouTube.
He started out as a tutor to his cousin Nadia and posted videos on YouTube. But soon his voice took over the world causing an unexpected revolution in the field of education. Khan is revered as the ‘Messiah of Mathematics’; while Khan Academy as the ‘Future of Education’.
Khan used to be a hedge fund analyst before he started working on YouTube. But just for the cause of providing free education to the world, his wife asseverated him to quit his job as a financial analyst and work on Khan Academy instead. Considering her advice, even without giving a second thought, he discontinued his job as a financial analyst and started working on Khan Academy.
Despite the lack of financial resources, Khan and his family lived in the state of poverty for over an year. Today, Sal khan is one of the most influential men on the planet, having 60 million registered students on his website and Bill Gates happens to be one of them. Up until now, Khan has received $9 million as a donation from Bill Gates while $11 million from Google. Bill Gates believes Khan to be the best teacher to the world.
“I try my best to teach the way I wish I was taught”– Salman Khan
Let us take a moment and remember our favorite teacher. Now imagine that teacher being able to reach not just about 30 kids in a classroom, but millions of students all over the world. That is exactly what Salman Khan is doing on his online academy, Khan Academy. He is determined to transform the learning and teaching tools at every level.
With the aid of Bill Gates and Google, Khan Academy is flourishing.
Presence of Khan academy in India – Khan Academy is creating new India-first content and mapping thousands of videos, exercises, and articles, to create NCERT aligned math courses. Learners can use Khan Academy to learn, practice and master the fundamentals to ace their exams. Teachers can use Khan Academy’s teacher tools to supercharge their classrooms to become more personalized and mastery-based.
What Does Khan Academy Offer?
It is a non-profit organization with the mission of providing FREE and a world-class education for anyone, anywhere. Khan Academy offers practice and instructional resources across an increasing range of subjects and grades.
Their elementary content covers all K–5 math grades as well as key grammar topics. Explore their elementary resources by choosing any of the links below:
Middle School Lessons:
Their middle school content covers 6–8-grade math concepts as well as key grammar topics along with the necessary resources for Computer Science teachers. Check out their resources for yourself by choosing a link below:
High School Lessons:
Their high school (Non-Advanced Placement) content covers all 9-12 grade math concepts along with topics in history, science, technology, and several other areas. Check out their resources for yourself by choosing any of the links provided below:
For most of the part, we think the explanations are very clear and precise. The matrices section of the Pre-Calculus course is excellent in terms of getting familiarized with the basics. Apparently the real-world application (outside of doing a basic problem) isn’t just as similar and easy as those from Khan Academy materials and the theory isn’t very deep enough. Thus, for anything below calculus, it has probably one of the best resources out there.
However, for more complicated integrations and some more complex/abstract calculations, it is not really up to the mark. Acing such complicated problems happen mainly through practice while merely doing online homework of math is not sufficient because that is not the only way to work. Extra efforts have to be put in by the students.
Any material is hard to be condensed down into an hour worth of videos. Other supplementary materials are highly encouraged, especially if you are looking for a much deeper understanding. If you are interested in higher level math, we recommend you to buy books and read through chapters and practice as many problems as possible. Practice problems until you feel you can handle any kind of problems. Then head to the next corresponding chapter and repeat the same procedures as discussed before.
Advanced Placement Courses:
They have resources to support students in many Advanced Placement (AP) courses. Click one of the links below to take a look around:
Benefits of Khan Academy:
Khan Academy is soaring high with new subjects and videos being added frequently. One can learn and work at their own pace. They provide you with the feature of fast-forwarding or rewinding the videos and working out problems on our own without having to think about other students or the teacher’s pace. Those who have a tendency to work slowly or who struggle in understanding a particular topic, they can pay more attention to the respective topic by taking their own time. Others, who find themselves well versed with a certain topic can quickly go through sections that are less challenging without wasting much time.
It is free and any time accessible. It doesn’t cost you anything to watch the videos and work on the problems. It is available anywhere and anytime with just the need of having an access to internet connection. You don’t need a subscription but just an account if you wish to save your interactive progress.
- There is a wide range of subjects available. There are videos on Math, Biology Chemistry and Physics. In addition, there are videos on streams like Arts, Humanities, Economics, and Finance. It provides an incredible series of math problems for various grade levels, from the very basic elementary lessons to Calculus.
- The lessons are easy to understand, short, fun-filled, and approachable. There is a clear and continuous path to learning complex topics.
- While assigning work, students are given videos pertaining to instructions of the respective topic. You can also find built-in practice sessions.
- It has features that help teachers to monitor their student’s progress and provide focused support.
- Students can get instant feedback and encouragement. While teachers can get reports and track their progress.
- If students make mistakes, it offers them the opportunity to seek help and give away the explanations to the problem by directing them to the video where they can get samples of the solution to the similar problems. It also allows teachers to check on their students and their progress.
- When you have a student’s profile on Khan Academy, by clicking on ‘progress’ option, you can keep a track on the lessons you have been working on and if you click on the ‘assignments’ option, it will display the problems that you solved and the exact amount of time you took to solve them.
- Khan Academy also helps teachers to be more empowered to make their classroom experiences enjoyable, engaging and social with fewer lectures and more project-based learning.
Flaws in Khan Academy:
Taking a Khan Academy lesson will not provide you certificates. Instead Khan Academy provides badges and energy points from time to time as one accomplishes various levels of experience on their site – such as watching 10 hours of video on a particular topic (Ludicrous Listener). Energy points are awarded for watching videos and for solving exercises (usually – 750 points per video).
However, Khan Academy is not a self-contained college-level course like the ones you find on Coursera. Hence, there is no need for this online academy to provide certificates. The only certificates available on Khan Academy are Teacher Training Certificates, Learnstorm Certificates & Motivational Certificate Templates. These are meant for only coaches and are not issued by the staff at Khan Academy.
- One of the perks of being in the classroom is that you can share ideas with other classmates and work together. You also discover new ways of thinking about something or help someone in building their knowledge, skills, strengths and weaknesses that cannot be replicated in the same way while learning from videos.
- You are exposed to only one style of teaching.
- The platform is not as interactive as having an actual teacher or tutor teaching you in a class. If you have a physical teacher or a tutor, you can receive immediate feedback and talk through your thought process.
- With Khan Academy, you are forced to learn the way the videos teach you and it may or may not be the best way for you to learn something and you might lose the social aspect of education.
The different courses were very helpful, especially for seeking help for solving homework and also in understanding the concepts better. There are many courses to choose from and all are very detailed for maximum learning. The Khan academy does not offer as many online courses as some of the other online academies do. But still, it offers enough and is known for maintaining the instructor qualification of the highest degree. They make sure everything is clear and transparent. It is evidently a very useful platform for learning and teaching. It will surely provide benefit to you in the long run. Thus, it is absolutely worth to sign-up.
What is that something we wish every consumer knew about Khan Academy?
The platform contains practice exercises, instructional videos, dashboard analytics and teacher tools which empower learners in and outside of the classroom to study at their own pace. Their learning experience is easy to adapt, helps one to see their progress and goals, creates personalized recommendations about what to learn next and motivates us to master the skills we wish to. They have partnered with institutions like NASA, The Museum of Modern Art, The California Academy of Sciences and MIT to offer specialized content.
What is the most common misconception that consumers have about online education?
People think that online education is expensive: Khan Academy is a free resource.
What sets Khan Academy apart from the competition?
- Course variety: Courses cover a huge array of subjects ranging from school subjects to higher education.
- Unbeatable price: Free is a hard price point to beat.
- Easy sign-up: Integrated login using Google+ or Facebook makes it quick and intuitive to get started.
- Progress tracking: You have instant access to your progress and where you need to review materials.
- Gamify the learning process: Earn badges for completing coursework and show off your knowledge.
As the time is passing by, Khan Academy builds out its material and utilizes new educational theories and technologies, it will probably go beyond what we currently think that goal entails and begin to redefine and expand what is meant by a world-class education. Depth of knowledge and also a range of subject matter, may reach levels that today are only available to the highly educated beings.
At Career Online Courses we’re constantly working on new features. If you have an idea for how to make our blogs more effective or if we have missed out on any additional info, please let us know in our comments section below. Your feedback is valuable to us.
Also Checkout our Article on Byju’s – The Learning App